The liver is the largest organ within the body and is considered vital for life. It plays many roles from digestion to hormone balance. This organ, over time, can become congested and its function may be reduced. When this happens, your body will find a way to talk to you to let you know there’s problem. Below you will find a list of some of the most common signs of liver (and gallbladder – which is attached to the liver) imbalances.
Symptoms of Liver Congestion Check all that apply (past and present):
- Insomnia and waking between 1 and 3 a.m.
- Burning feet
- Itching skin and feet
- Frequent skin rashes and/or acne
- Bitter, metallic taste in mouth upon waking
- Bowels inconsistent or painful
- Worrier, insecure
- Queasy, nauseous, “sick” feeling with unknown cause
- Greasy foods upset digestion
- Stool is light in color
- Skin peels on soles of feet
- Pain between the shoulder blades
- Gallbladder issues or surgery
- Sneezing attacks
- Bad breath not resolved by brushing
- Sensitive to hot weather
- Burning or itching anus
- Crave sweets
- Dull ache, heaviness under right rib cage
- Migraines or headaches
- Hormone imbalances
- Menstrual imbalances
- Blurred vision
- Emotional upsets such as sudden ANGER, frustration, impatience and depression.
- Neck and shoulder pain (especially right shoulder)
- Itchy ears
- Muscle pain after working
- Frequent Urination
- Hiatal hernia
- Frequent infections, slow to heal
- Heart Palpitations
- Yellow or Pale Fingernails
- Vertical white streaks on fingernails
- Excess body odor
- High cholesterol
- Stiff aching muscles
- Weight around the abdomen (spare tire)
- Yellow palms
- Poor concentration
- Difficulty losing weight
- Two vertical creases between the eyebrows
- History of hormone therapy or birth control
- Whites of eyes become yellowish
- Small red flecks the size of a pinhead that come and go at different places in the body
- Skin looks or seems dirty in patches (“liver spots”)
What causes liver congestion? There are countless causes, but some of the major players include alcohol consumption, exposure to synthetic toxins (artificial colors, flavors, sweeteners, preservatives, fragrances, pharmaceuticals, etc.) and candida (yeast) overgrowth. Parasites may also play a role here.
What can you do about it? There are countless “liver cleanses” on the market, but you should be cautious when attempting them without the support of a wellness professional. The liver dumps into the digestive tract and if there is not a clear path (optimal digestion and elimination), it’s very possible to mobilize a bunch of toxins and hormone sludge without an exit strategy and create a ton of inflammation while you reabsorb the toxins that your body wasn’t prepared to eliminate. That being said, herbs like Milk Thistle, Black Radish, Hydrangea, and Dandelion have been used to support the liver for centuries.
If you feel like many of the signs in my list apply to you, consider scheduling a consultation with me or another qualified wellness professional. We provide local or phone consultations for clients in any location. Schedule via www.NaturallyUnbridled.com/services
The information presented here is for educational purposes only and is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prescribe for any disease or condition. It is not a replacement for qualified medical care. Consult your preferred healthcare provider when making wellness choices.
I have some of the symptoms on the list.
Itchy feet, bad breath, body odour, now and again insomnia, about 6 red dots, vertical ridges on nails